Deciding to buy or sell a home is a major life decision. Whether you’re buying your very first home, upgrading to a larger home, or selling a home that you’ve lived in for many years, hiring an exceptional real estate agent is a must. Finding someone who is experienced and able to make the process easier for you is of the utmost importance, which is why Zillow and other top real estate websites recommend interviewing at least three Realtors before deciding who to work with! Below are the questions that we recommend asking potential candidates:
For buyers and sellers:
1. How long have you been a real estate agent?
2. What is your availability?
3. Do you work independently or with a team?
4. How many clients are you currently working with?
5. How will you communicate with me and how often?
6. What separates you from the competition?
Just for sellers:
1. How did you arrive at your suggested list price?
2. How will you market my home to potential buyers?
3. How will you qualify the buyer?
4. What should I do to prepare my home for sale?
5. What percentage of your listings have fallen through?
6. What are the costs associated with selling my home?
Just for buyers:
1. How many buyers have you sold homes to in the last year?
2. How long does it typically take you to help buyers find and purchase a home?
3. How do you determine if I’m getting a deal or not?
Asking the above questions will help you to determine whether the real estate agent you’re interviewing will be able to meet your needs. You’ll have a better understanding of their experience, availability, preparedness, and ability to communicate effectively. In the long run, taking the time to hire the right agent for the job will result in a better home buying and/or selling experience.
READ NEXT: Should I Rent or Buy a House?